Friday, April 13, 2012

[SOLVED] How do I package my modded research.lua file?

[:1]SOLVED, I was using the wrong program, and I needed to package it differently
I have taken the research.lua file from z_uncompiled_lua_dlc1 and edited it,
and then placed it in z_lua_dlc1 using winzip with both the zip. and zipx. compression
set to 0%. however, each time I try to test out my research mod, the game crashes!
Could someone give me a walk-through on how to get the compressed lua files to accept my edited, uncompressed ones?|||Are you using Winzip or WinRAR? Very different things - Winzip definitely does not work, while WinRAR does (although I've experienced some occasional rejection when editing an existing .scd).
Also, make sure you're using an un-edited Research.lua to start with, to confirm that the problem is actually the .scd packing and not a mistake within the file. Once you get that working, then substitute it with a modified version.|||Oops, I seem to have been an idiot... :oops:
Off to install WinRAR...
WinRAR installed. Now if only it would work.
I went ahead and did a test for whether or not it would work, and it does not. I backed up z_lua_DLC1.scd and replaced it with one where I merged an uncompiled research.lua file from z_uncompiled_lua_DLC1.scd into my copy of z_lua_DLC1.scd with the compression set to store. And yet when I ran the game, it crashes when I start loading a skirmish match!|||Like I said, it can sometimes be finicky when you're using an existing .scd. Try using normal compression, and re-try it several times, and/or delete the existing file before dragging the new one in.|||You can also try using the *unmodified* version of the file from z_uncompiled_lua_dlc1.scd and just put that into z_lua_dlc1.scd to test if it crashes, i.e., if the problem is with WinRAR. If the problem is with WinRAR, then you can try using the stable release and not a beta release, if that's the case. I remember Mithy was having problems when he was using a beta release. I've been using stable v4.00 and have never had a problem when setting the compression method to store. Any crashes I got were from modding syntax errors.|||Well, my WinRAR installer is labeled wrar400, so I'm assuming that would be WinRAR 4.0.
And I already tried replacing the encoded research.lua file with an un-coded one.
I tried using both the 'Store' and 'Normal' compression methods, and each time I deleted the old research.lua before moving the new one in. However, the game still crashes whenever I try to load a skirmish.
Meh, who knows what's going on, I guess I'll just blame my Windows Vista.|||Another thing to try (that I don't recall working for me, but has for other people e.g. the CBP) would be fully extracting the original .scd, replacing the file in that folder, and re-compressing it with either store or normal.
I'm not really sure how some people can get this on the first go, but when I've tried it, it took a bunch of attempts, and even using the same method the second time didn't work. Like I said, the game's really finicky about its .scd format.|||Mithy, Madface, thank you so much for your endless patience with me.
It finally worked! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment