Thursday, April 19, 2012

My first Subcom Mod

First I would like to thank everyone who helped me get interested in modding for Subcom. Special shout out to Mithys and Michael Urbon for your assistance. Without such I might have let my desire to mod this game die.
That said I will say that I'm not a scripter, and I can't program an "ok" button in visual basic. I am self taught and can only do basic editing. But I am learning how to mod some of the statistics of Subcom units and just slowly going over every unit and changing them to give the game a more unique feel.
But before I go any further I will state the purpose of this thread. Essentially I was going to ask how hard one my ideas would be to implement. What I want to do is add two new values to Subcom, one value (called "Uplink Nodes") would signify how many units your supreme commander can control (and be very closely related to the "unit cap", perhaps I could just mod how that variable acts?). E.G. I have 100 Uplink Nodes total, I want to build an Air Scout and he requires at least 10 Uplink Nodes, whereas land units in general only require 1. Also this variable would be upgradable through the Supreme Commander upgrades, raising the max (in this case from say 100 to 200).
The other variable I want to work much the same way, but call it Processing Power. This variable would be a much larger pool and it would just be another variable I could link different type units up (so say an Air Scout uses little processing power to operate, having no guns and would take up 10 of 1000 processing power etc.).
My question, is this a possible idea to code into the game? If it is I will try to learn how to do it. Thanks for your input.
Unrelated to the above paragraphs I will describe my mod, offer your opinion if you so desire. I am looking to purport greater differences between the four races in Subcom. Also I am trying to further alienate land, sea and air from one another and make their role stand out more (one way I would like to do this is through the two new variables mentioned above).
Cybran will have the fastest units, and most will be faster than others overall. Also they will be 'kings of land'.
UEF will have the most robust and hardy units, but a bit slower than other races. They will also be 'kings of sea/water'.
Aeon will have the most fragile units, but their units will also deal good damage (glass cannon style). They will be 'kings of air'.
Seraphim will be strong on all fronts, to balance this I will make their units cost much more and take longer to build.
After balancing those changes I would like to point out that some races might naturally be better to play with an ally, or be vulnerable to attack in a certain area. To avoid rock/paper/scissor fights I will try to make the game as tactical and strategically viable as possible and avoid the one trick pony approach, while still keeping the racial differences clear.
I welcome all experienced modders opinions!
Cheers,
-Seven|||Mod Talk is for talking about mods that are either released or WIP.
Mod Dev Support is for asking or talking about the making of mods.
Thread Moved.
Mike|||OrangeKnight|||Hi and welcome..
i take it your an avid star trek fan :) cool beans..
i just want to comment on your uplink nodes and processing power surgestions..
these 2 "variables" are completely possible pal, but would require a little investigation
and coding.. it wouldnt be to hard to implement a system like this..

No comments:

Post a Comment