Tuesday, March 27, 2012

[RULES]How to Necro post and More!

[:1]Now as you may have noticed I'd Been Moderating these parts, its because I'm awesome and you need'nt worry.
But some recent and somewhat recent events and the allotment of extra free time I didn't account for means I have some time and will to write up some rules.
Now, right off the bat I'm not going to Cover EVERYTHING here, some things should just be natural, being nice and not rude, using proper grammar ect ect, I shouldn't have to cover stuff like this, but if it comes down to it I will.
Now, the BIGGEST issue I see, especially with Mod Talk, less so in the other forums, is NECRO POSTING!
Now not all Necro Posting is bad, but I'll get to that, first I'm going to define it;

Necro Posting
: Posting in and old(past a month) thread.
Note that the 1 Month isn't the "is all end all" or nothing, but I find its a pretty fair marker for the age of a thread before posting in it would be considered a Necro Post. It can changed based on many factors so think before you post.
BAD Necro Posting:Posting in and old(past a month) thread but no contributing to the threads purpose.(EI saying 'Thanks' or 'I agree' to a post from 7 months ago)
GOOD Necro Posting:Posting in and old(past a month) thread and actually contributing to it. Updates, News and new releases(Mostly done by the thread's Author) as well as bug reporting or for instance having an idea as to how a previously mentioned problem or bug could be solved, stuff like that, use common sense, I can't create an exhaustive list of reasons.
BUT, and its a big one, once the thread gets past 3-4 months, be careful about posting even if you would be doing a 'Good Necro Post', some times people leave the forum, or might have (in Mod Talk's case) actually stopped supporting something or just don't care anymore, so I strongly recommend that for threads older than 3-4 months that instead of posting you send a PM to the thread's Author and/or who-ever your reply was aimed towards.
this way if who ever you PMed is still active and has had no reason to post in the last 5 months or whatever you now KNOW he'll reply and so you can post, but if he doesn't reply you know he's not around and as such you shouldn't post in it.
This doesn't mean your out of options thought, if you desperately need to ask a question about a certain mod or something make a new thread, ask your question then LINK to the original thread, A good answer isn't guaranteed, but its better than nothing.
How to respond to a Necro:You don't, posting more posts after a Necro just makes more work for me and causes issues. So don't posts, either send ME a PM or just leave it, I'll get to it eventually.
and that's it for now...
And for all you tl;dr people, Suck it up and read it, I won't go easy on anyone because they're too lazy to read the rules.
UPDATE
Signatures;
FunkyKong

No comments:

Post a Comment