Thursday, April 12, 2012

[WIP-SC2] Blueprint Scaling Tool

[:1]LiveOrDie requested it and others might find it useful. I haven't yet released it, but I'm just around the corner of doing so.
Let me know if there's something specific that you want implemented. Before requesting, please see the following list of things LoD asked to be implemented: http://pastebin.com/DWVNFYck.
Image|||looking good, nothing much more to add, I think :wink:|||nice work Madface, can't wait too use it.|||Thanks guys. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure I know how to use it myself :lol: :lol: :lol: As far as I'm concerned, all I'm doing is what LoD asked: essentially, "when I click on this, this, and this, I want this, this, and this changed in this, this, and this, file". OK, whatever you say :lol:
LoD will use it for his scaling mod, but how exactly I don't know. From what I understand, the tool is just to help him automate a lot of changes with just a few clicks so that he can tweak the unit sizes much easier and quicker before finalizing the mod. This is just a guess and I could be wrong. I'm sure he'll provide an explanation with his mod on how to use it so that anyone can resize the units to whatever they want. Also, chances are the tool will also be good (with some tweaking) for resizing units in KnC.|||madface|||Hey guy's! :D I've been gone for awhile and now i'm back. I had to get a new hard drive for my pc, so everything i had for the 360 version is gone :( Now i have to re-implement everything all over again to my jtag, but it's okay :wink:
Can't wait to try this out, keep up the good work!|||It would be nice to be able to switch the layout to show the unit's in game name rather than UCA0102RV. Obviously, if you have two units by the same name you would need to implement a (1), (2) and so forth when such a toggle activates.
Looking good madface|||Hey Bast, thanks for the feedback! I went with the unit id instead of unit name for one main reason: most of the Revamp units don't actually have names. A lot of the units in the tool are WIP units that aren't part of the current public release of the mod.
Also, I myself, and I think LoD as well, find it easier to work with the numeric id instead of the name since the name is never used to reference the unit throughout the gamedata files. Everything is done through numeric id and so I actually have a better memory of the numeric id corresponding to a particular unit rather than the name. Also, I find it easier to remember or estimate what unit you are working with across factions by similar numeric id than with names, especially if you aren't familiar with a particular faction. But that's just me.
But to implement your suggestion, the "easiest" thing for me codewise would be to: (1) put a second checkbox beside each entry that when selected would change the numeric id to name, (2) just put the name as a tooltip when you hover over the numeric id, and/or (3) create a box to the side or underneath that would display the unit name and and an icon of what is selected. The only thing I would have to figure out for this last option is if I want to display everything that is selected or only display something if a single item is selected.
To have a single option to switch everything at once between numeric id and name, while still "easy" to do, would leave the items alphabetically unsorted. The way I have the code set up, I can tell you right now I'm not going to sort things alphabetically :? That would be way too much work for the return, especially given that any of the 3 options above would provide you with the information you want, albeit not in exactly the form you were thinking of.
Therefore, I'm going to leave things as they are in general, BUT I will play around with options 1-3 for showing the names and hopefully integrate something in a future release. Balancing time with other mod projects, though, I might redesign the interface to have a sort-by-name functionality at some time in the far future when I have nothing to do.
BTW, update: the tool is pretty much done, but it currently has functionality for only Revamp units (and that's what the first release will contain, just so you guys get a sense of how the tool works. I'll be adding in support for the SC2 units for the second release). I'm just using this opportunity to embellish the code for the program as I will port it over to my general blueprint creation gui for modding existing units or creating new units, of which I posted some screenies a couple months ago. I significantly improved the code and approach while working on this tool, so I just want to finish things off on this front before making the current tool public.

No comments:

Post a Comment